- Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia
- AEROCOSMOS, Moscow, Russia
- Earth Cryosphere Institute - the separate division of Federal Research Centre Tyumen Scientific Centre of SAB RAS, Tyumen, Russia
- Pacific Geographical Institute of Geography FEB RAS, Vladivostok, Russia
- Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth, CAS (RADI), Beijing, China
- University of Nanjing, Nanjing, China
PEEX PROGRAM GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE (.pdf)
PEEX "Pan-Eurasian Experiment" program is a multidisciplinary climate change, air quality, environment and research infrastructure approach focused on the Northern Eurasian particularly arctic and boreal regions and China. PEEX is an active contributor and a collaborator in the international research and research infrastructure landscape, and also provides a forum for science diplomacy. At an institutional level, the collaboration within PEEX is typically initiated via signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the PEEX program (PEEX Partner).
The PEEX science conferences are the main forum for research community to share their scientific outcomes. In addition to organization of the conferences, the active work of the PEEX working groups (WG) is facilitated. Working Groups are community based, bottom up approach with a specific focus. The idea is to provide PEEX services for the PEEX research community, such as information on existing satellite products and in situ data over the Northern Eurasian or carry out case studies. PEEX Working Groups (In situ stations, Satellite, Modelling Platform, Marine Observations and thematic working groups, such as Baikal Selenga Network (BaSeNet) are open to join in.
Coordination of the Program takas places by PEEX offices. The PEEX Headquarter (PEEX-HQ) located in Helsinki, Finland at the University of Helsinki, Institute for Atmospheric and Earth System Research (INAR). PEEX-Helsinki office coordinates the program governance and the communications activities in collaboration with other PEEX offices under the guidance of the Program Steering Committee and collaboration with nominated PEEX Fellows. Current PEEX offices are located in Moscow, Russia; St. Petersburg, Russia; Nanjing, China; and Beijing, China. The main office in Russia is hosted by the Moscow State University together with AEROCOSMOS (remote sensing). The main office in China is hosted by Institute of Remote Sensing and Digital Earth (RADI) (CAS). The office network is expected to expand and new offices will be established based on agreement with PEEX-HQ in Helsinki after the new office candidate has signed the PEEX MoU and has joint the PEEX collaboration network as an PEEX collaborating institute. The PEEX office typically has named science officers, who will be working as a local contact points and passes information within the office network. The idea is that each PEEX MoU partner would has at least one contact person.
PEEX-HQ and PEEX offices in Russia and China will prepare a joint working plan on the following tasks or topics:
- to participate the PEEX communication-outreach activities and provide material such as articles, announcements of opportunity or meetings / conferences, reports on collaborative projects or research outcomes and results or any other item that may be of general interest to the PEEX research community. This work is facilitated by different tools such as websites (www.atm.helsinki.fi/peex/ and/or local website), www-e-news, PEEX newsletters (4 issues per year), e-mailing lists and regular skype meetings to guarantee continuous communication.
- to contribute the planning, development and coordination of the PEEX research infrastructure such as the PEEX in situ observation network
- to participate the planning and hosting of PEEX education such as organizing joint education events (winter / summer schools) and courses for the university students and other relevant groups, bring the local touch to the PEEX education and support in communications such as English – Russia – Chinese translations.
- to search for new possibilities for scientific cooperation, liaising with the parent programs and the host institution as well as with any other relevant national or international bodies or supporting partners.
- to expanding PEEX contact network in local area
- to look for Call-For-Proposals by different funding agencies, proposals, projects, activities, etc. where local partners can be also funded
- to participate in educational activities such as linking and bridging local MSc, PhD programmes to the larger PEEX education network
- to participate in the organization of conferences, conference sessions, meetings and forums of PEEX Science Conferences
- to distribute information in local language to local communities such as translate PEEX web pages from English to Chine/Russia
- to support PEEX Program in it’s task to increase public awareness of Grand Challenges such as climate change and air quality, distribute the new scientific knowledge, results and data products to scientific communities and the public sector, and distirbute tools, scenarios and assessments for policy makers and authorities