The Training School is co-organized by:
- Faculty of Geography, Lomonosov Moscow State University (MSU)
- Kola Science Center RAS (KSC RAS)
- Research Institute of Ecology and Natural Resource Management (Tyumen State University)
- Pan-Euroasian Experiment (PEEX)
- Smart Urban Nature (SUN) Laboratory of RUDN
- Russian Geographical Society (RGO)
Training School especially targeted for Master/PhD students and young scientists under 40 years old. UCAWS will have a focus on research in the field of Urban climate, Urban Air Quality, Social Urban Studies, Urban Ecology associated with the Arctic region.
Tentative topics of UCAWS-2022
- Climate change in Arctic region
- Urban climate research in Arctic cities
- Urban ecology in the Arctic
- Economic and social problems of the urbanized regions of the Arctic
- Arctic climate change and cryosphere
- Air Quality in Arctic region
- Changing environment and infectious diseases in the Arctic
- Linux-based applications and technologies for Earth Sciences
- Using Matlab in Atmospheric Sciences
- Using Python in Atmospheric Sciences
- Using R in Atmospheric Sciences
- Using Thermal comfort applications for urbanized regions
- WRF modeling system for Arctic regions
The Training School program will be complemented by the lectures of senior scientists and experts in the field of Arctic research.
UCAWS-2022 will take place entirely online for participants due to the continuing risks posed by the coronavirus pandemic and the resulting restrictions on international travel. However, organizers will chair Training Course directly from the Kola Peninsula. It will help to demonstrate some measurement methods in real arctic conditions.
Due to the experimental status of UCAWS-2022 no registration fee is required if you are selected as a trainee.
The official language of the winter school is English
12 January – Tentative program of UCAWS-2022 will be published online
13 January 23:59 UTC+3 (Moscow time) – Deadline for applications
15 January – Successful candidates will be contacted via e-mail
17-23 January – Online training course UCAWS-2022